Stampe & Vertongen SV4

The history of the Belgian Stampe & Vertongen factory goes back to 1923, when Jean Stampe and Maurice Vertongen started their flying school at the airfield of Deurne- Antwerp.
The lack of available trainers, made them decide to build their own.
Alfred Renard, an engineer from Brussels, joyned them the same year and soon afterwards, the first RSV (Renard - Stampe - Vertongen) was born.
When Renard left the factory a few years later, a young Russian designer, George Ivanow, entered the scene in 1929...
 
Several SV- models appeared on the drawing board, but the first Ivanow- designed Stampe that was actually built, was the SV-3.
This machine was almost an exact copy of the famous Tiger Moth.
His next design was the SV-4. Its prototype flew on May 13, 1933 and after some modifications, the model was renamed the SV-4b.
More modifications followed and deliveries started in 1939, but as we all know, 1939 also saw the outbreak of World War II, so not that many SV-4´s were produced before the war.
In 1945 however, production started again in France at the « Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques du Nord » (SNCAN) and at « l´Atelier industriel de l´aéronautique d´Alger » (AIA).
From 1947 onwards, production in Belgium resumed again.
 
Many SV-4´s are still in airworthy condition today and can be seen at meetings around the world, others are preserved in museums.